Description - Ruins of the old "Chartreuse Notre Dame d'oujon"
The old "Chartreuse d'Oujon" occupies a meadow in Arzier. Today, an archaeological and spiritual path presents this mysterious place.
The Carthusian order was created in 1084 by Bruno of Cologne as a result of the second reform of Benedictine monasticism. The Cistercians of Bonmont completed the monastic landscape with the Chartreuse of Oujon. Its location was strategic by its proximity to the road to Saint-Cergue, which was already very busy at the time.
Over the years, it became an important seigneury and even owned a wine estate on the shores of the Geneva Lake.
Around 1537, apart from sporadic colonization by workshops of boiler makers and glassmakers, the Chartreuse returned to the wilderness but did not totally disappear from the collective memory.
As of 1945, and until 1972, various campaigns and excavations were carried out. After unsuccessful attempts to conserve the above-ground walls, the decision was taken to bury them and mark their path on the ground, underlined by an archaeological path dotted with 12 panels inviting to a spiritual journey.