Discovered in 1996, this monument, remarkable due to its size and good preservation, is the sixth amphitheatre exposed in Switzerland after those of Avenches, Vindonissa, Augst, Martigny and Berne.
Its dimensions are almost the same as those of Avenches amphitheatre. Its history can be discovered at the Roman Museum of Nyon.
It was built at the foot of the road leading to the vicus of Lousonna/Vidy. Two inscriptions, presented to the museum, have been revealed. One of them, which mentions Emperor Trajan, leads us to believe that the amphitheatre, in which several thousand spectators could have been seated, was built at the beginning of the 2nd century AD.
In the amphitheatre the main shows we know took place were gladiator fights, hunting (venationes), exhibitions of wild animals and sometimes executions of those sentenced to death.
Today, the project to make this site an archaeological place to visit and a showplace is waiting to become a reality.
Note: the ruins of the amphitheatre are for the moment closed to the public.
- Amphithéâtre romain de Nyon
- Rue de La Porcelaine
- 1260 Nyon - CH
Rue Maupertuis 9
1260 Nyon - CH
Tel : +41 22 316 42 80
Information about the history of this archaeological site at the Roman museum of Nyon.
min.---°C / max.---°C
La Côte Tourism on social networks