The Nyon temple was the inspiration for the catholic church of Notre-Dame. It is registered as a Swiss cultural asset of national importance.
Nyon temple is the town’s oldest Christian sanctuary. There, the remains of a Christian edifice dating from the 8th century are prominently displayed and before, there was a Roman temple devoted to the Mithra religion.
The current temple has a beautiful Roman choir dating back to the Cistercian period (beginning of the 12th century). While the choir is Roman, the nave of the temple dates back to the 14th century. The building that was threatened with becoming a ruin was consolidated and reopened to the religion in 1442.
Nyon temple is thus a very interesting medieval building. The magnificent stain glass of the lower windows is by artist François de Ribaupierre (1886-1981) who also made the very beautiful windows of the North transept of Lausanne cathedral, with their so deep blues.
Temple de Nyon